Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Taekwondo embarrassment

Back in June 1, I was assigned to cover a Taekwondo event for our school paper. That was my first coverage for this year so I felt excited but I think my enthusiasm went too far because I arrived early. The Junior and Senior divisions were about to start in the afternoon but I was already there at 9am which is the time for The Elementary matches.

I approached the mats to take a few snapshots since the assigned photographer wasn't there yet. After a couple of shots, I decided to sit down.

So there I was, sitting on what appeared to be the coaches' bench, reviewing my photos when suddenly, three teenage taekwondo athletes approached me and bowed at me. Yes, THEY FRIGGIN BOWED AT ME! Hahaha I didn't know what to do at that time... I think they even uttered a word, I just forgot whether it was "master," "sir," or "sensei" but what the heck. I was embarrassed and shocked at the same time!

It was funny, they thought I was a superior. I felt like a young version of Mr. Miyagi at that time. I just waved my hands and repeatedly said the word "sorry" at them. After that they just took off as if nothing happened. I felt pressured afterwards, I left that spot to avoid further embarrassment... It was really one heck of a day.

No comments: