Thursday, May 22, 2008

Finally, a Judy Anne Santos Film that is worth watching...


As I saw the movie's website and trailer, I felt a surge of hope for our very own movie industry, I couldn't believe that such an actress- who is favored by the masses and is being labeled as "baduy"- would be a part of a very interesting film.

Made by young filmmakers that envisions a new age in Philippine cinema, I believe that Ploning has what it takes to be an entry for international film festivals.


http://www.ploningthemovie.com/about.html

Modesty aside, Pinoy movies nowadays lost its quality and depth. Gone were those days when movies are made by prominent film directors such as Kidlat Tahimik and Ishmael Bernal. As if the artistic calling of Filipino filmmakers have drifted in to the vastness of the mainstream hype.

Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate Pinoy films but not of those that are produced by huge media networks today. We still have the likes of Quark Henares and Jon Red but sadly, their brilliant works are being overshadowed by shallow movies with a whole cast of bad actors and actresses.

And then there are the local award giving bodies. Compromising to the hype, and nominating unworthy entries every year.

Our writers and directors should come up with more of these types of films, it really reminds me of a foreign film, like the French movie "Amelie" and the cinematography has a hint of Cinemalaya in it. Pretty cool, the pseudo "lomographic" colors are awesome as well, it really fits the time and setting of the the story (1980's Palawan)

All in all, I am indeed seeing a new age in Philippine cinema, this really inspired me to get more involved and of course, to help resurrect the somewhat moribund status of our historically rich movie industry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fact that there ain't no "ka-lab team" makes the movie better than the others already!