Thursday, March 20, 2008

Anorexic Bigmac

When I was a little kid, my dad used to treat me at McDonald's every week. The moment we enter the fast food joint, I'll immediately bug my dad to order me a Bigmac. I was really marveled by its huge double pattied structure, there were times when I couldn't even finish my meal.


But those were the good old days...


I recently purchased a Bigmac and I got totally disappointed, it wasn't exactly the burger that I used to love, the patties were flatter, the bun shrunk, it was too small that even little kids can devour them with ease.

I think our beloved burger succumbed to the "pandesal effect" (raise the price and then curtail the product's quality) due to our country's off the scale inflation. If this is the case then they shouldn't call it "Big" mac anymore.

Other food joints also suffered the same fate, Jolibee and KFC wasn't an exception, check out their value meal's quantity, I literally buy two value meals just to satisfy myself.

Even my balikbayan friends were ranting about it, we usually eat at a shawarma stand here in our village and they would sometimes nag about how small the servings are.

I also notice this "pandesal effect" in other products such as clothing, slippers and other necessities. I was shopping with my cousin back in December when I noticed him examining a well known branded slipper, he said it was the same old thing from back then but now the materials used for making those slippers are not good anymore. I took the slipper and there I noticed that it wasn't that durable, he was right.

I really miss the good old days when you really get your money's worth. Now I'm always having second thoughts on buying that anorexic Big mac. Seriously, the next time I'll purchase another BM meal is when I'm already out of the country.


And I sure can't wait for that day.



*Squirrel photo by RS Photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanmdcowboy/208990947/

2 comments:

M said...

Yes, I would have to agree with you on this one. I remember the day when the Big Mac's were so huge even Tito Rhod couldn't finish them and shared them with me and I brought the half-portion to school as my baon. I never ate at McDonald's when I first moved here, so I was surprised when my friend "G" had a daily diet of a #1 value meal (Big Mac and fries), supersized, and another Big Mac, 6 cheeseburgers, and 2 apple pies. I was like whoa, what a big meal then I saw how small the Big Mac's are and the cheeseburgers are so tiny they kind of have the same size as the Krysal/White Castle burgers. I have noticed the pizza sizes have shrunk, I mean, the large is what medium used to be. The small pizza is just like the personal size pizza now. Other things that come to mind which have shrunk through the years are fun size candy bars, Frito Lay Big Grab size snacks, and KFC value meal. They used to give you two scoops of mash potato/mac n' cheese, and now it looks like a serving-spoon size. In Pinas I noticed the size of the kanin that comes with Chickenjoy also shrunk, it is roughly the same size as one Goldilock's puto! Luge, tangina!

mercy said...

I'm not a Big Mac nor a Mc Do fan. When I was still in Pinas, I usually crave for Tropical Hut burgers, I wonder if they still taste the same..juicy and yummy.
Here in USA, if I feel like eating a burger I'd rather go to restaurants like TGI's or Ruby Tuesday or Outback where you can savor the beefy taste of it and have it cook as you want..rare, medium, or well done. I say NO to fast food joints, sometimes if I'm broke, I will go to Wendy's or Steak and Shake just for the heck of it!!