Friday, April 4, 2008

I want a samurai! (Hattori Hanzo)

It was a childhood dream of mine, that someday I will own a Japanese sword. Back then I used to imagine myself as a samurai living in feudal Japan.

Owning a sword someday is still fresh in my imagination, and I know that in the future I will collect a couple, famous swords in Movies, TV and other replicas of infamous slashers in the past.

First in my list is the sword used by The Bride (Uma Thurman) in Kill Bill. The Hattori Hanzo sword.

So how did Quentin Tarantino come up with this concept? Well according to an interview I saw on TV, he said that there was once a TV show in Japan called Hattori Hanzo based on events that happened in the feudal age of Japan.


There was a hero of the same name and Tarantino made a character based on this protagonist. So like a couple of hundred years after the event, the ancestor of Hanzo was shown in the movie as a retired blacksmith ("Hattori Hanzo the 100th" or so) who used to be the master of Bill (the antagonist) and according to the Bride, Hanzo has a rather large obligation, and so the blacksmith who swore not to make another killing instrument again, made one for the bride.

I really hope I would have a chance to get a feel of it in real life. I really felt intrigued about the story behind it. Does anyone know how I can get a replica of this legendary sword?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hanzo steel, ahahaha