Sunday, April 6, 2008

The perks and downsides of Photoshop

Actually, I am really an anti-photoshop person. This software can do it all, yeah, it is very enjoyable for making those cool effects in your images. It is nice but one thing's for sure, Photoshop took the credibility of Photography and sh*t on it! It really broke my heart.

I took basic photography last semester and I noticed that most of the camera techniques that a measly SLR camera can do (like the very famous depth of field) can also be done with this software after a few clicks.

Even Lomography suffered the same fate. I saw a video in youtube where you can make Lomo effects using Photoshop.

In spite the credibility issues, I still want to learn a lot of cool stuff here, like how to make an Andy Warhol pop art, how to make your subject colored in a desaturated image (as seen below), and how to make animated GIFs.

I tried a couple of things last night and I was really fascinated with the history brush, here are some of my works:



I took this yesterday in Tagaytay using a PNS Sony Cybershot, I uploaded the pic immediately as I got home and played with the HB.



This one was taken in Laguna during our Phototrip last February, I used an old school Nikon SLR and I scanned the film for the editing.


Don't get me wrong, there are also situations that I have to use this software, but being a non-conformist, I promise myself not to edit images that an SLR and a Lomo are capable of doing. I'd rather stick to the traditional way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice works! :)

Ger Victor said...

Wow, thanks! ^^