Sunday, April 27, 2008

The service road Ruff Ryders (Habal habal)

It has been months now and the construction of the Service road's pipelines isn't finished yet. This really made commuters here in the south have a hard time riding a jeepney and other people are forced to drive a car since the road became a one-way lane.

It could have been a disaster all the way to Bicutan but thanks to the Habal habal drivers whom I call "The Service road Ruff Ryders," commuting became a breeze.

During my 2nd semester, being equally frustrated at the scarcity of jeepneys, I was called by this barker and on my left, I saw three motorcycles parked on the sidewalk and their drivers were there waiting for a screwed up commuter.

I really wanted to try riding it all the way to Bicutan but I felt awkward because I was carrying my school bag, an SLR camera, and some folders with photos in it but In spite all that, I decided to hop on at the back of the bike. It was really dangerous and fun at the same time, not all riders have a helmet or any safety gear but it really felt good. I was shaky at first because the bike wobbles in every turn.

It takes me less than five minutes to reach Bicutan from my village due to their ability to zigzag out of heavy traffic, (as compared to 15-30 minutes if I'm riding a jeepney.)

They're still giving rides now and they're growing in numbers. I think they will be around for a long time, the best part of it is that you can also do negotiations if you want them to take you to a farther place. (I think Pasay city is the farthest.) I guess I have to thank those Ruff Ryders for eliminating my tardiness last semester and giving me spare time at work this summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, everything you said it's true. And I am suki of these ruff ryders, donned in my corporate attire and high-heeled shoes, I ride with them every morning to the shuttle service at the back of SM. What's good about them is they make you tawid, either to back of SM or to the bus stop (Edsa-bound) at the other side. Kaya lang last week, I left the house at noontime and didn't feel like riding the bike because the sun was way up high, so I decided to ride the jeep instead (syempre pinuno pa), and I had to cross that "longest footbridge" all the way to the bus stop in the grueling heat. Parang it took me all of 10 minutes to cross that overpass. Ay, namiss ko sila talaga.